Frequently Asked Questions
Management of Manufacturing MBA Degree Apprenticeship

For Employers

What is a Degree Apprenticeship?

A Degree Apprenticeship is a job with training, working to degree level standards and based on an industry-approved apprenticeship ‘standard’.

Are any of my roles eligible?

The role must be a genuine job you must be able to offer an employment contract long enough for the apprentice to complete their apprenticeship. The role should enable the apprentice to gain the knowledge, skills and behaviours set out in the apprenticeship standard, and apprentices must have appropriate support from within the organisation to carry out their job role. Additionally a minimum of 20% of their time must be spent doing off the job training and you must pay the relevant apprenticeship wage.

Are there limitations on the type of employee we can sponsor through a Degree Apprenticeship?

Degree Apprenticeships are open to anyone over the age of 16 so while they are primarily attractive to school leavers as new recruits to your business they are equally open to those existing staff members in your company that you’re looking to upskill.

Who is eligible to become a Degree Apprentice?

In general if you are over 16 and live in England then you may well be eligible to do a Degree Apprenticeship. Citizens of EEA countries or non-EEA citizens legally resident in the UK for at least the previous three years before the start of the apprenticeship (NOT for educational purposes), may also be eligible. You can check the latest information on the Government webpages.

Can I use an apprenticeship to upskill existing staff?

Yes, changes to the rules governing apprenticeship finding now mean that the levy can be spent on apprentices training from within your organisation even if they already hold a qualification at the same or higher level as long as the apprenticeship involves substantially different learning and skills e.g. someone with a BA in history could undertake a Degree Apprenticeship in digital technologies.

Who pays for the training costs of the apprenticeship?

If you are an employer who is paying the apprenticeship levy, you can fund the full cost of the apprenticeship training through your digital account.

What is 20% off the job training?

Your apprentices must be able to take 20% of their time for off the job training during their typical working hours. This time might be spent on campus, working at their desk on an assignment/project, or participating in a virtual classroom session. You need to provide evidence that this commitment has been met. We will help you achieve this through our apprenticeship monitoring arrangements.

Who pays for the training costs of the apprenticeship?

If you are an employer who is paying the apprenticeship levy, you can fund the full cost of the apprenticeship training through your digital account.

How will the Degree Apprenticeship be structured?

Typically, your apprentices spend 80% of their time at work and the other 20% working towards their degree. Studies will usually take place through either day release or block release throughout the year, depending on the course you choose.

I want more information, how can I get in touch?

You can email Ian Buckingham, Higher Education Programme Manager (ian.buckingham@the-mtc.org) who will be in touch as soon as possible to talk through the options we have available to you.

For Apprentices

What is a Degree Apprenticeship?

Degree apprenticeships are a high-quality alternative to a traditional university degree. You’ll spend part of your time studying for a degree and the rest working for an employer, earning a full-time wage and gaining invaluable experience of the workplace. Essentially it’s a full-time job.

Is a Degree Apprenticeship right for me?

If you already have a clear idea of the career you want to pursue, and you want to take a practical approach to your studies and then a Degree Apprenticeship might be for you. It isn’t a free degree and you’ll have to balance your work with study and other commitments. However, it could be the opportunity you need to reach your full potential. You’ll take your place at a top-class academic institution whilst gaining all the skills you need to thrive in the workplace.

Am I eligible for a Degree Apprenticeship?

In general if you are over 16 and live in England then you may well be eligible to do a Degree Apprenticeship. Citizens of EEA countries or non-EEA citizens legally resident in the UK for at least the previous three years before the start of the apprenticeship (NOT for educational purposes), may also be eligible. You can check the latest information on the Government webpages.

Is there an age limit on Degree Apprenticeships?

Degree Apprenticeships are open to anyone over the age of 16 so whether you are a school leaver or an existing employee in a company which is willing to sponsor you, you can become a Degree Apprentice.

Will I be paid a salary?

Yes, you’ll be entitled to at least the National Minimum Wage for your age, but many employers pay more. The current minimum wage rate for an apprentice is £3.50 per hour. This rate applies to apprentices under 19 and those aged 19 or over who are in their first year.

Who pays for my tuition fees in a Degree Apprenticeship?

Degree Apprenticeships are funded by your employer via their Apprenticeship Levy. Learners do not pay tuition fees.

How will my Degree Apprenticeship be structured?

Typically, you’ll spend 80% of your time at work and the other 20% working towards your degree. Your studies will usually take place through either day release or block release throughout the year, depending on the course you choose. You’ll also study using our Virtual Learning Environment meaning you can learn from your home, office or further afield at a time that suits you.

I want more information, how can I get in touch?

You can email Ian Buckingham, Higher Education Programme Manager (ian.buckingham@the-mtc.org) who will be in touch as soon as possible to talk through the options we have available to you.