Design Rules for Laser Powder Bed Fusion
Is this course for you?
Are you a design engineer interested in creating products using Laser Powder Bed Fusion?
Do you want to prepare designs for submission to a bureau and be sure they will be approved?
If you’ve answered ‘yes’ to any of these, then this course is for you.
Design engineers looking to prepare models for manufacture using Laser Powder Bed Fusion at an external bureau.
- Outline the unique considerations a designer must deal with in order to create an effective Laser Powder Bed Fusion design
- Implement effective design adjustments in order to optimise key features (which would otherwise affect build-ability)
- Identify methods to optimise a design for post-processing and inspection
- Apply process-specific design rules for Laser Powder Bed Fusion to example 3D models
How does Laser Powder Bed Fusion work?
Introduction to designing for Laser Powder Bed Fusion
- Designing for Laser Powder Bed Fusion
What do I need to understand as a designer?
– Residual stress
What is unique about Laser Powder Bed Fusion ?
Overall guidelines and insight
- Process-specific design rules (Design for Manufacture)
– Pin diameter
– Embossed/engraved features
– Horizontal bridges
– Connecting and moving parts
– Minimum feature size
– Design for Inspection
– Design for Post Processing
Selecting correct adjustment
Selecting complete design most suited to Laser Powder Bed Fusion
Case study based decision-making activity